close
close

Chris Pine ‘surprised’ DC canceled Wonder Woman 3: ‘They said no to a billion-dollar franchise’

Chris Pine is “stunned” that DC canceled director Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 3, saying the franchise was worth a billion dollars.

Speaking to Business Insider, Pine said he didn’t expect to return as Steve Trevor after previously appearing in Wonder Woman and its sequel Wonder Woman 1984, but he was still shocked that DC would walk away of the franchise led by Gal Gadot.

“I’m amazed that they said no to a billion-dollar franchise and decided to go elsewhere,” Pine said. “I don’t know what the reason was behind it. It’s above my pay grade, but Wonder Woman is an incredible character. Patty is such a thoughtful director.”

“I’m stunned that they said no to a billion-dollar franchise and decided to pivot elsewhere.

Even though Wonder Woman wasn’t a billion-dollar franchise for DC, she almost made it. The first film, released in 2017, reached $824 million at the box office, while its 2020 sequel grossed $170 million. That puts it at $994 million, and although DC’s latest films have struggled at the box office, a third Wonder Woman movie would certainly push it past the billion mark.

Wonder Woman 3 was announced by Warner Bros in December 2020 with Jenkins and Gadot both set to return, but as James Gunn and Peter Safran took over DC Studios and brought Gadot, Henry Cavill and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson with DC With the Extended Universe over, the film was quietly canceled despite its star thinking otherwise.

Just as Cavill and Johnson were also confused by their involvement in the new DCU, Gadot’s claims that she would star in more films were quickly dropped. Gunn and Safran announced a strict list of 10 films and TV shows that would make up Chapter 1 of the DCU, Gods and Monsters, and although a handful of them were cut and changed over the course of the year that followed, there is no indication that Gadot is making a return.

Gunn, who is in charge of the creative side of DC Studios, however, is not opposed to the return of some actors from the expired DCEU. Blue Beetle star Xolo Maridueña has already confirmed his return but has no first film or series yet, while Peacemaker star John Cena will continue to play his character in a second season of his series (which will also be part of the DCU). .

The new universe will officially begin with the animated series Creature Commandos in late 2024, but will look to make its mark with the July 11, 2025 release of Superman, a film starring David Corenswet directed by Gunn.

A first look at the new Man of Steel was released yesterday, May 6, and seemingly teased an appearance from Braniac although Lex Luthor was already confirmed for the film. Superman will also feature a myriad of other DC heroes and villains, including Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane, Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern, Edi Gathegi as Mister Terrific, Isabela Merced as Hawkgirl, Anthony Carrigan as Metamorpho, María Gabriela as The Engineer, and more. Gunn confirmed that these actors will also play roles in other DCU projects.

Ryan Dinsdale is a freelance journalist for IGN. He’ll talk about The Witcher all day.