close
close

Turkey barn fire near Sauk Center broke out in mechanical room | News

(Sauk Center MN-) Stearns County officials believe a barn fire last week that killed thousands of turkeys started in a mechanical room. The fire on McCormic Lake Road in Sauk Center Township was reported at 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 30. The 64-by-200-foot barn, owned by Peter Klaphake of Sauk Centre, contained approximately 7,000 turkeys and was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters from three fire departments arrived. The building was a total loss and further investigation indicated that the fire likely started in the mechanical room located on the northwest side of the building.